Sunday, August 11, 2013

June 2013 - Pastor's Reflection

When I grow up I want to be like ... (you fill in the blank). 

For me, there are several people whose names I would want to include in that blank space. Not for every quality they possess, but because of particular qualities they have shared with me.

The first name I would put in that (blank) space is Kim. During 32 years of marriage he has been an example of real love towards me, our children, other family members, friends, strangers, and others I've never even met. I hope one day to be able to love as generously as he has.

The next name I would put in that blank is my friend Buffie. This lady drips joy from her very pores! She has had her share of life's ups-and-downs, but is always encouraging, loving, supportive and full of joy when I am in her presence. And that joy is authentic.

Another name I would put in my (blank) space is my friend Mickey. Everyone who knows this guy will tell you that if Mickey had too much more of the peaceful, easy-feeling attitude, you would have to check his pulse! His smile is genuine and his attitude is contagious.

There are other names I would put in that (blank) space. People who have been examples of patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Some of those names are of people from my past who have moved on to glory long ago. Other names are people who I have had brief opportunities to interact with but who have shared a part of themselves that left me forever changed. And there are the names of some people who I come into contact with on a weekly basis and encourage me to keep on growing. What each of these folks have in common is a love for God and a deep desire to show that love to people, ALL people - even me.


My challenge, and yours, is to continue to grow up - in our love for God and for his people so that others will look at us and say, "When I grow up, I want to be like" ... (write YOUR name in the blank).
In Christ, 
Rev. Pat

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. - Galatians 5:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment